Sunday, February 10, 2008

quick blog whilst I overcome my maths planning brain wave blockage!

Really quick gonna write this & prob come back to it at some later date but I wanted to blog last sunday but all week have been majorly busy & not had chance to release it from my head so very quickly here is my thought! (yes me sticking with the same thought for over a week is weird hence needing to write it down to stop thinking about it!)

ok i was talking with some very special people at Sutton about adherants & soldiership & how as soldiers we live our lives by what it says on a piece of paper. one person said how they'd love to be an adherant just to experience 'life' not stupidly like going out getting drunk, gambling away all her wages but just knowing that it she went out she could experience what alcohol tastes like...
It got me thinking that we are rather stuck up about certain things our commitment says & we are not as bothered about the others. For example if I turned up next Sunday with a massive hangover (or an injury from a 'drunken mishap') people would start talking but if I turned up knowing full well I hadn't read my Bible or prayed all week would people make comments?? Is it different because people don't know whether we are praying/ reading our Bibles daily or becausewe are more shocked at a soldier (gasp!) living a life that any other Christian outside the Sally Army leads????
just a thought....

(btw don't read too much into this it was just a discussion we were having!) - just realised how some people might interpret it lol!!

7 comments:

Becks said...

Hey Jude!!

Good point- it bugs me that so much of what goes on in the army world is about appearences. People worry more about what they are going to 'look like' to others than they do about being honest before God. Some people choose to live hypocritically because coming out and saying this is what I do will cause too much damage- regardless of what that 'thing' is. Don't get me wrong- the church is about reconciling the imperfect with the Perfect and I dont expect anybody to be a shining example of wonder. It would just to nice to be able to say you looked out and saw what was really there rather than what people wanted you to see, you know?

Liz said...

I have to say I agree too. I had an email debate with someone and I cut and paste the Soldiers Covenant into the mail as part of an answer and it takes my breath away. Who can really say that they measure up to that, actually especially the spiritual things that no other human can measure. I hope that I make a good effort, I hope that I don't do anything to discourage anyone else....I hope :)

Unknown said...

I know! Its a massive call isn't it - this soldiership thing.

Dawn said...

so massive infact it's not difficult to talk yourself out of it!

Jude said...

wow I was so not expecting people to agree with me (how stupid am I of course we all feel similarly we're all human!)
thank s for your comments and yes Dawn really does it easy to talk urself out of it. I'll explain a little bit how this came up coz at Sutton we don't wear uniform even though a lot of people are soldiers & I was debating last time I was at Romford if I should go in uniform or not coz I personally feel more relaxed and open to worship without my uniform coz it makes me feel like I'm at church out of 'duty' rather than coz I wanna be there (obviously I do want to be there but u know what I mean...!) but anyway I decided to wear my uniform just coz I knew people would ask 'is everything ok?' & presume my spiritual life was in terrible trouble rather than being so all right in my faith that I'd found the ideal way to worship for myself...!
p.s. don't want to turn this into a debate about uniform coz that's not the point it's just how we got onto the convo & it's been working it's way on me...!

thanks for your comments!
Oh & on the side to you my friends. I've got an interview on Tuesday for the Havering teaching pool so if they like me they pass my name onto other heads... I'm struggling with where God wants me to be next year so all prayers would be gratefully recieved! the interview is tuesday morning (between 10 & 12 type of time)
should of done this as a new blog really lol sorry!
love you all xxxx

Unknown said...

Will definitely pray Jude. Love you lots too! xxx

Dawn said...

God will place you where he needs you...you just have to go along to the interview and cope with the stress!