Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Your main event...

A super duper person asked me 2day how my main event was? I didn't come home at the weekend to come along but I've been getting mixed messages about the whole event & I've realised how vast and diverse we are as a group of people and I'm not sure we can ever get stuff right... What I mean (even tho I may not be making any sense watsoever!) is that the parents/ adults seen to have had a great time and felt all powered up and stuff but the younger groups seem to not have enjoyed it as much. Is this because some groups refuse to listen to God or because people are telling us stuff that doesn't fire us up. Like when we're at roots and the speakers are like we need your money to help this, this and this as kids we really do want to help but we can't coz the money we have in our pockets is for our dinner later whereas adults have a magic piece of plastic so you can instantly get involved wivout 1st having 2 run off & ask lovely ma and pa if you can have sum extra money....
(this is prob all a bit of a mix of thoughts so I do apologise!)
When I was younger I wrote at a youth event of sum sorts that if we were going to have flats on top of our church we should buy one as a church and give it 2 sum1 trying to turn their life around. In my head this was all very feesible and I couldn't see why it wouldnt work I just didnt know how on earth I would go about convincing the grown ups to listen to me... do our kids get the opportunity to be really honest with us about their ideas?? This africa trip next yr is an amazing opportunity for the youth and stuff but did we ask them if they'd prefer to do something in England??? just a thought... maybe we as adults need to not run away with what we think is really exciting without pausing to think about how the younger generation can get involved (and I mean really involved)
At Roots this year I know a bunch of people from Romford got all excited bout stuff that's gonna b happening over the next couple of years and stuff but personally I don't feel it and that worries me we should be as one fighting against the evil stuff but if we can't tell people what we're all excited about and to get people on board then how can we be one???

(sorry 4 my mixed up thoughts...!) (and sorry if I make no sense just ignore this post really!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey jude...
i get what u mean (i think!) like who is it that does actually have a voice?! but i want to disagree wiv you slighty... i feel (quite strongly infact!) that the kids at romford so have a massive say in what things go on... ake the discision for moving out of hal... the kids got an equal say as the adults!! and in some respect they probably got more of voice because us as leaders make a chpoice to hear from ALL the kids not just the ones that can shout the loudist... whereas i think adults can fall into the hole of not!!! du know what i meen.
i agree i have heard different responses aswell... i wonder if there truely is a balanced opinion??!! and the right and wrong... from whos "right and wrong" are you looking at it from??!!! hehe!!!
luv ya m8y

Jude said...

Yea i totally agree that the kids do get heard in certain situations I was finking more of single times like I personally dont no how they fort about roots whereas the adults are more vocal (like in testimony time we see it as a time 4 the adults to talk & it's embarrassing/ something we just dont do...)
but yea i dunno wat my real thoughts are really just a mixed up bundle of stuff
(how come my blogs neva make sense I just waffle on....!)

Liz said...

In the kids venue they had an opportunity to feedback after each session using a form with pictures -thumbs up, thumbs down and a little cartoon bloke shrugging his shoulders for 'don't know'. Funnily enough MY big thing this year with my DCO hat on IS to ask the kids what they want -I'd like them to help me design an event for themselves.

Even the government are jumping on board with the Children's Advocate inviting kids to take over the country on the 23rd Nov. Wouldn't it be great to have kids running the SA for a day...if they want to that is ? Watch this space !

RE The Main Event - my opinion is clouded as I was with the kids most of the time.The overall response seems to be good, but with lots of food for thought.Constructive feedback is certainly welcomed. There are things I would change if we did it again and I think that's true for the team as a whole, but, as Jude's blog intimates, who CAN speak for everyone? NOT ME :)

Unknown said...

Jude. I hear what you are saying, and I don't really know exactly what I think about all that, but here is another spin on it Call is Devil's advocate if you will.

Do you think its possible that we have become a little bit over-focussed on what we want. I heard someone recently say that the biggest problem with the world is selfishness. I don't know the rightness or wrongness of that, but I do think that our culture is so heavily focussed on 'doing what is right for ourselves'. Looking after number one, making sure that we are happy and things are going right for us.

I don't think that we should ignore our feelings and what we want, or that people's (anyones) voices should not be heard, but maybe we should also be careful not to encourage a 'me first' attitude.

I don't know how it all fits together - just thought a counter argument might help your thinking out a bit.

xxx

Anonymous said...

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Anonymous said...

WHAT!! that past comment was so long... i must have put like 2000 questions marks down and it has only posted one line!! what a waste of 10mins of my life!!!!
sarah x